Wayne County Home Buyer Program provides assistance to low and moderate income families to purchase a home in Wayne County.
- Maximum assistance: $7,500 for a property
- Maximum purchase price is $119,000
- Minimum eligible assistance is $1,000.
- Mortgage payment cannot exceed 30% of monthly gross income.
- Appraisal is required
- The down payment may come from a combination of HomeBuyer Program, gifts, grants / loan from a relative or non-profit organization/public agency
- Refinancing assistance is not available.
- Income limits by household size (2014 HUD)
HomeBuyer Assistance may be used for:
- Down Payment Assistance
- Eligible Closing Cost such as: Pre-Paid taxes, Interest, Lender’s Points, Application Processing Fees, Credit Report, Title Insurance, Appraisal, Mortgage Survey,Cost Estimates, Safety Testing, Private, Mortgage Insurance, Lump Sum Processing,, Fees: loan, broker, recording, legal,
- Excluded Closing Cost: Homeowner’s Insurance, Real Estate Commissions.
If you have any questions regarding the HomeBuyer Program please send me an email or call: 313.255.9500 and ask for Keisha Sanders-Hajdu
- HomeBuyer must be at least 18 years old.
- Annual gross income cannot exceed 80% of Wayne County medium income as determined by HUD income limits.
- HomeBuyer must meet income requirement at the time the household initially occupies the property or when HOME funds are invested, whichever is later.
- HomeBuyer must occupy the property as a principal resident for a least 5 years.
- HomeBuyer cannot own or have an interest in any other real estate at the time of purchase, including a vacation home.
- HomeBuyer cannot have more than $10,000 in liquid assets.
Eligible Properties Financing Transaction
- Properties may be located
Allen Park , Belleville, Brownstown Township, Ecorse , Flat Rock, Garden City, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile Township, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Highland Park, Huron Township, Inkster , Melvindale, Northville Township, Plymouth, Plymouth Township, River Rouge, Riverview, Rockwood, Romulus, Southgate,Sumpter Township, Trenton , Van Buren Township, Wayne, Woodhaven, and Wyandotte
- Properties may be single family detached homes, condominium unit ownership or a duplex, if one unit is owner occupied or both units are vacant.
- Mortgage financing is required for all transactions; land contract and lease/purchase financing is not eligible.
Terms of Affordability
- Homebuyers may not sell the property for five years from the date of closing. If sold or refinanced during the affordability period, the assistance must be fully repaid to Wayne County. This recapture provision is enforced by a second mortgage lien.